What is a Gulet?
A gulet is an all wooden motor sailing yacht built for cruising the coasts in the calm warm waters of the Mediterranean. These yachts are built to center life on deck during the charter. Spacious decks and housing a large (usually) aft half mooned shaped dining and lounging area are their main features.
The number of passengers a gulet carries varies, according to size, between 8 and 16. On a 17 to 25 meter boat, that is quite a breathing space for each person considering that every passenger has private quarters and jointly used decks, saloons, etc. are quite spacious.
A gulet can best be compared to a small hotel afloat. There are double berths in each cabin and occasionally, upper bunks. Every cabin has its and shower. The crew sleeps and uses the facilities in their separate
Common quarters include a large saloon, a fully equipped galley commanded by a cook, lots of uncluttered deck space, sun mattresses strewn all over to laze on while tanning. Round sterned gulets have a mattress covered perch in the aft that is called a “pigeon’s nest”, the most comfortable place to lounge or nap on the boat, protected by awnings. Unlike a bareboat, which is often limited in water supply, a gulet offers the chance to wash off the salt after every swimming party, as it takes up to 3 tons of fresh water.
Choosing the vessel
– the more important is not the year of build but the technical condition of the vessel.
– The price for rent depends of the gulet size, its comfort and equipment on board.
– The electricity voltage at the vessel is 12-24-220 V. So, you should warn the Captain if you decided to take a notebook, electric razor ora player with you.
What you need on board
– your photo camera first of all!
– Common form of dress at the vessel is a swimming suit. You also need to take a sport shoes for food walking, and also the clothes for cool evenings in some seasons.
– Do not forget a towel, one more swimming suit, sun cream, sunglasses, beach shoes and a hat.
– If you wish to spend a night at the deck, you need a sleeping bag.
– During your trip you will have a time to read, so do not forget your favorite book.